Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jonathon's Quilt


I call this quilt 'Jonathon's Quilt' as it was made specially for my nephew Jonathon.

This is the very first patchwork quilt I ever made back in the early 1980's. The quilt was all handmade from different pieces of velvet and cord material all in different browns with splashes of green and gold. I really loved making this quilt as I new that it would be a part of Jonathon's life for a long time and something he would have from me when his family moved to live in Canberra.

Before I made the quilt I cut out hundreds of 'templates' from used greeting cards and then sewed each piece of material onto the card. This made it much easier to sew all the pieces together. Once the top of the quilt was finished all the cards were removed, the Dacron filling and backing were sewn on. I still use this method today when making my quilts.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I think I remember that quilt!