Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jumpers, jumpers and more jumpers

Knitting has been a hobby since I was a little girl. My mother taught me to knit and I remember my first efforts at knitting a scarf.

One of my first jumpers was a bulky knit jumper in a blue/gray color that I knitted for myself. It was knitted on really big needles and all in stocking stitch. There was no shaping for the armhole or on the sleeves and there were no bands but it was really warm and comfortable.

Most of my knitting has been for family members and mostly for babies and children. I knitted a full layette for Megan and Jacinta before they were born and lots of jumpers as they grew up. I also knitted a fairisle sleeveless vest for Jonathon when he was a little boy and only a few jumpers for Philip as he used to complain that they were 'too itchy'.

I've always enjoyed knitting jumpers with bright colors and patterns. I used to knit jumpers for a shop and on order from friends as well as sold quite a few at a market stall. My favourite and probably the hardest jumper I have ever knitted would have to be the red jumper with peacocks in the top photo.

I don't know how many jumpers I've knitted over the years but I think I can remember most of them.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Thank you for the invite to visit your blog :) I'm really looking forward to having a read. Heading off for bed now at 12.15am! Terrible I know. I've got Hannah's party tomorrow too! Anyway, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to reading your blog :) Love Ruth

Ruth said...

Those jumpers are amazing! I've always wished I could knit like you, Nana, and Mum. Maybe one day I will... who know :)

Melanie said...

I enjoyed reading the first posts of your blog! And I look forward to seeing lots more projects:) I'm just off to the post office now. All the best this week, we're thinking of you!
Melanie

Deb said...

Thanks Vicki, enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your pictures. Will wait to see the pics of your quilts.