Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Penguin

This little guy was one the very first things that I ever made in High School - 1974 Year 7 East Doncaster High School. I'm not sure why, but I've kept it all these years. I've always thought he was cute even though he's not very well made and looks as though he's had a huge meal.

'The Penguin' is made using enamelling where you cut out your picture on to a steel plate and then cover it with a powder and place it in a kiln to 'cook'. Once the pieces were cooled I stuck them onto a board which I had covered with a piece of hessian.

In the early 1980's I ended up with a nickname at work. It was 'Penguin Vic' after the Victorian Governments advertising campaign for Phillip Island - the home of penguins so I guess this penguin was destined to stay with me.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

That penguin looks great! I haven't seen that sort of craft before. I'm glad you've kept it. I think if we keep things long enough, they become treasures.