Saturday, August 30, 2008

Creativity in the Family


I think creativity must run in our family. I have a beautiful embroidery of some birds made by my Aunty Anne (mum's sister). I never got to meet Aunty Anne as she died during the war but I treasure this embroidery that she made.

Growing up I remember my grandmother and my mother knitting but it wasn't until about 15 years ago that mum started making painting china dolls and making cushions, stools and pictures all decorated with flowers made from silk ribbon and beads.

All of us girls are creative in our own way.

Susanne can sew anything. Wedding and bridesmaid dresses, Christening gowns, skirts, tops and dresses. Everything she sews looks tailor made. Susanne also embroiders, quilts, knits, smocks. This is Lachlan in an outfit sewn and smocked by Sue.


Jenny sews tailor made curtains. She makes them to order and sells them in her shop. These are some curtains that Jenny made for one of my Aunties.




Rhonda made the most beautiful flowers out of silk ribbon, tassells, cushions, handbags, decorative stools all decorated with lace, silk ribbons and beads. She has also made pictures using old photos and memorabilia that she collected from antique shops. Her work has been sold in shops and markets. This is a picture that Rhonda made for me.

My brother John was also creative in his own way. He was could draw anything and especially good at drawing cartoons. He also loved making things with his hands. This is a a magazine rack that John made while at school.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Its a shame none of that Cameron crativity flowed through to me!!

Ruth said...

I'm sure it did Phil! Gotta pick up the needle and cotton though! Just kidding LOL! With so much creativitiy on both sides of my family you'd think I'd be at least able to knit! Beautiful pics. I love reading your blog!