Monday, August 11, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring, Charlie is snoring..

It has been raining for most of the weekend now and my garden is absolutely loving it. The rain gauge which holds 40ml was overflowing this morning which is something that it hasn't done for such a long time.
Charlie doesn't like getting wet so he spent most of the weekend inside. He spent most of Sunday afternoon curled up on the bed sleeping and snoring.
My seedlings are all doing well. I love going outside and seeing which bulbs have come up this year and seeing the new winter flowers coming out.

My favourite flower is the Winter Rose (Helebouros) which was also my grand mothers favourite flower. I have two varieties in my garden -Helleborus niger and Helleborus foetidus. The Helleborus foetidus grows a lot taller than the Helleborus Niger. It also has long thin leaves with small green flowers which grow on the top of the plants. This year I have a lot more pink flowers coming out which I really love.

I recently dug out a Dianella that I had growing against the back fence and replaced it with a Lord Byron Fuchsia, helbouros and some of my Danish Flag poppy seedlings. It had grown so big and was spreading too far so I divided the Dianella into several clumps and gave them away to some other gardeners on Freecycle. The fence looks a little 'bare' at the moment but I'm sure with all the rain we are getting that it wont be long before the Fuchsia grows.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Wow! Can't believe the Winter Rose is your favourite and my Great Grandmothers! Mine too!! I love every variety and I love how they're so shy :) We'll have to take you to Government house next time you're up. It's chocas of so many varieties!

Vicki Cameron said...

I didn't know until after I planted the Winter Roses that they were Grandma's favourites (and one of mum's (Nana's) as well. It makes them even more special when there are four generations of the one family who love the same flower.

I'd love to see Government house and the chocas next time I'm up.