Saturday, January 23, 2010

Olivia's quilt started

With Sarah's quilt top finished I have now started on Olivia's quilt.

I guess I can say that I officially started it on Wednesday when I took the material squares and cardboard backings with me to the Australian Open and sewed the material onto the backings.

I nearly finished sewing all the pieces onto the cards while watching three centre court games -
Svetlana Kuznetsova V Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Kim Clijsters V Tamarine Tanasugarn and finally Rafael Nadal V Lukas Lacko. It's the first time that I have taken my sewing with me but each year I have wished that I had as it's a long day sitting and just watching the tennis.

I finished off the last few pieces last night and plan to start sewing them together in rows while watching the tennis on television this afternoon.

This is the first quilt I have made using a kit. After always selecting and cutting material myself it feels a bit like I have cheated on this one as all the work of cutting has been done for me. As I loved the material in the kit, some of which would have been harder to buy separately I decided to buy it this time. This quilt uses a new range of fabric called 'minke'. There are blocks of pink, white and deep pink interspersed throughout the top. Minke is a very soft fabric with a velvety feel to it and has little bubbles on it.

No comments: