Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jessica's Matryoshka quilt

Jessica's Quilt
Jessica's is the first quilt I have sewn totally by machine. It has been so much fun seeing it come together so fast. Thee have been times that I feel like I am 'cheating' but I felt the pattern was really more suited to sewing on a cine rather than my usual method of English piecing. I just hope that Jessica doesn't feel that I took the easy way out to sew her quilt.

For Jessica I am making a Rosalie Quinlan design called 'Matryoshka quilt'. I chose the fabrics with Ruth when I was in Canberra before Jessica was even born.
Cutting out the fabrics
It took me two days to cut out all the fabric for this quilt. Cutting the strips took the longest time!

I had a lot of fun sewing the blocks and loved the way they came together so fast.  I was on holidays after Christmas so had lots of free time to sit and sew.
First blocks sewn together
Blocks pressed ready to be laid out before sewing together
Pressing the blocks took almost as much time as sewing them!

With 49 blocks sewn it was time to lay the quilt out and place the blocks. It was harder than I thought to make sure that I didn't use the same block colours next to each other.
Laying out the blocks

Like sewing the blocks, the quilt top came together very fast. I think I sewed and pressed it all in two afternoons - the fastest ever time for me!

Jessica's quilt


Charlie testing out the backing for Jessica's quilt as I ironed it.

Charlie giving the quilt a test run.
Charlie thinks this quilt is very comfortable - time for a nap

I am now looking forward to sewing the Matryoshka dolls onto the quilt. There are seven dolls - one on each row.














No comments: