Friday, May 22, 2009

Hannah's 'Raspberries & Lime' Quilt

As well as working on Jacob's quilt I'm also sewing Hannah's quilt. I usually have two (sometimes more) projects on the go at the same time as often one pattern is more complicated than the other. I like to have a pattern that I can take with me and sew when I'm waiting at the doctors, on the train or at Brink the craft group I go to.

I love the colors of Hannah's quilt. The green and red on a white background give it a fresh crisp look. Most of my quilts are in the traditional floral and country prints so it's been nice to make something a bit different. As soon as I saw the pattern in the Country Patchwork & Craft magazine I wanted to make it for Hannah and set about getting the material.

The pattern is called "Raspberries & Lime" by Anam Cara Patchwork and the fabric is by Max New Australia. I searched all the local patchwork shops for the fabric but in the end I had the fabric sent to me from a patchwork shop in Sheparton which is in country Victoria. I didn't buy the pattern as I was able to work out the templates and sizes from the picture in the book.

I've cut out all my cardboard templates and material ready to sew each block. The quilt is made up of two types of block patterns. One block has a big square with a thin strip of stripped material around the edge and the other block has a small square in the centre surrounded by smaller squares and rectangles. Both blocks are as hard as each other to put together as the thin strip is quite fiddly to sew onto the square.

I've made up eight blocks now and have sewn them together. It's great seeing another quilt coming together.

Hopefully by the end of winter I will have both Jacob's and Hannah's quilts finished and will have started on the next ones. Which ones I am yet to decide.

No comments: