Sunday, April 8, 2012

Kelly's quilt for Imogen

For a while now people have been asking if I sell my quilts. Having always sewn my quilts by hand my answer has always been 'no'. Too much work and no-one would be prepared to pay the thousand or more dollars that I'd have to charge for them.

Material for a quilt
Sewing Jessica's quilt by machine made me think more about sewing quilts by machine for other people so at the Christmas and new year sales I brought some bundles of fabric to sew.

One of the bundles was this pile of bright colored almost 70's design fabrics. I loved them and hoped that someone else might like them as well. I put a photo on Facebook and had lots of comments from people saying that they loved the colors.

A few weeks later a friend asked me if I would make a single bed quilt for her daughter - she loved the fabrics I had brought and didn't mind what design I made them in to.

I decided that the colors need some plain colors to help break them up so I've designed a basket weave pattern of strips. Each block has three strips - an plain color in the centre with two different bright colored fabrics on either side.


Designing my quilt pattern
Basket weave block design
With the pattern decided I cut the strips, then sorted them into colors and then into stacks of three strips ready to sew.




fabric cut into strips

Sorting fabric ready to sew into blocks


Sewing the blocks.. had a great system going here


A basket of blocks ready to iron

Ironed and ready to sew together
I got a great system going with sewing a pile of strips into two and then going back and sewing on the third color. It's been exciting seeing the quilt come together so fast.  I've sewn most of the rows together - hopefully I'll finish this afternoon. My next big decision is to decide whether the quilt needs a border and if so what color!






No comments: