Saturday, April 7, 2012

an update on Olivia's quilt

basting the quilt again..

I finished the top of Olivia's quilt some time again and had it ready to had quilt. I decided to do a simple 'stitch in the ditch' around all if the squares.

As I was quilting I wasn't happy with how the back was looking - it seemed to be bunching up quiet a bit particularly where I had the minke fabric on top. I kept going thinking that once it was finished and pressed it might sit better. Finishing it I got the iron out and pressed the back and top but it was still fairly creased in parts so I decided to pull it out and start again.

Not being sure what to do I contacted a lady in America who hand quilts to see if she had any suggestions for hand quilting quilts that have minke fabric throughout them. Her response was "we tried it once and it was a disaster! I suggest you just knot it"  Well that really built my confidence no end!

Before giving up I went back to the shop where I brought the kit for this quilt - they said to machine quilt it that hand quilting doesn't work. Not wanting to give up on hand quilting I went to Spotlight and asked one of the quilting experts .. their response was to either knot or machine quilt.

quilting hearts on each block
While I was at Spotlight I saw a template for 4 little hearts. I decided to try and quilt the four little hearts on each block.

I am really pleased with how the quilted hearts are turning out. It doesn't take long to sew each one and the back is not creasing near as much.

I was hoping to have both Jessica's and Olivia's quilts finished by the end of April but with having to re-do Olivia's I'm not sure I will make my deadline.

No comments: