Monday, July 7, 2008

My efforts at Cake Decorating


Cake decorating must run in the family. In a high school cooking class I made and decorated my first fruit cake for Christmas.
Since then, I've tried my hand at a few other cakes and it seems that once you make one cake your suddenly the 'designated' cake decorator. I think Ruth can attest to this with her current run of requests for making and decorating cakes. Although looking at the ones she has made so far her efforts far outclass any of my cakes.

For special occasions I usually made a fruit cake (see recipe below)with the layer of almond icing and then royal icing. Some of the cakes in the photos are the ones I have made for special occasions - my mother's 60th birthday, a 21st birthday, another 60th birthday for a friend and for an engagement party.

I used to also made made cakes for other birthday's and special occasions such as farewell parties. These were mostly chocolate cakes with a cream cheese icing. Some of the cakes in the photos include a hot air balloon ride for a friend who wanted a balloon ride for their birthday, a guitar for a musician, a computer for a computer nut and three small ducks to follow behind the mother duck for a 1st birthday. Mine are the smallest ducks in the photo.

I had a lot of trouble making and decorating the little ducks so after a few failed attempts I decided to cheat - I went and brought a packet of 3 little rubber ducks. I iced and decorated them all .... they looked really good and didn't fall apart which was the best part. Unfortunately they were a little bit rubbery to eat (sorry.. couldn't help myself - I just had to put that in).

If you ever want a really tasty, easy and no fail fruit cake here's the recipe I use.

Christmas Fruit Cake

Ingredients

225g butter
225g currents
225g sultanas

125g mixed peel
125g blanched almonds

125g glace cherries
500g seeded raisins

225g soft brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon mixed spice

1 dessertspoon cinnamon
225g plain flour

6 eggs (carefully separated)
granted rind of 1 orange or lemon

2 tablespoons brandy or wine

Method
Pre-heat oven to 120°C (250°F)


Prepare dried fruit – halve cherries, chop almonds into thirds.
Place all fruit and nuts in a bowl, mix in flour so that all the fruit is coated.


Cream butter, sugar and spices.
Beat in egg yolks.


In a separate bowl, stiffly beat the egg whites.

Turn floured fruit out onto a clean bench and make a well in the middle. Add the creamed butter mix and beaten egg whites.

Use your hands and/or a plastic spatula to mix everything thoroughly but lightly together. Try to maintain the lightness of the beaten egg whites which is the raising agent in the cake. (this can also be done in a large mixing bowl but it’s important to make sure that the ingredients are folded in really gently)

Once everything is mixed together place mixture into a greased and lined 8 inch cake tin.

Bake for 3 ½ to 4 hours at 120°C– 140° C( 250°F – 275°F)

When a skewer comes out of the middle cleanly remove the cake from the oven.

Using the skewer make holes all over the top of the cake, then spoon over the brandy so that it sinks into the holes. Wrap the cake in two layers of grease proof paper and then two layers of foil prior to storing in a cool dry place. This helps keep the cake moist and fresh if it’s not being used straight away.

No comments: