Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Rememberance Quilts in the making


Dying is something that not very many people like to think about let alone talk about. With having been so sick with asthma over the years and then having the Subarchnoid haemorrhage in December 2008 I have thought a lot about dying but more in terms of how I want my family to remember me. As I want to be cremated and I don't want a tombstone I have decided that they way I want my family to remember me is by having a hand sewn quilt that I have made especially for them. This means that I have a lot more quilts to make so I don't plan on dying anytime soon.

In this photo there are four quilts in the making. The quilt hanging over the back of the couch is one I was making for myself. I started this quilt last year and have nearly finished it. It's my first attempt at quilting around the shapes rather than knotting which I have previously used.
The blue material is for a quilt called 'Blue Willow Sampler Quilt'. I am collecting material for this quilt at the moment and have found some great old fashioned 'willow' looking pieces that I really love.
The pink materials in the middle are for a quilt based on a pattern called 'Ruby Medallion'. In my material stash I found a pile of material already cut into squares which will be perfect to use in this quilt.
The black and white material on the end is for another quilt. I wanted to make a quilt suitable for a man however there are not many masculine looking quilt patterns around. When I saw this material I decided to have a bit of fun with it and design my own pattern. I am using different black and white materials which all have some kind of circular pattern on them. I have then cut the material into different size of squares starting with small squares in the center and larger squares towards the outside.
This quilt is definitely not recommended for anyone who gets sea or motion sickness! I haven't decided on a name for the quilt but I think 'Dizziness is....' might be on the top of the list.

No comments: